Herbs to the Support the Liver, Gallbladder, & Metabolism

Digestion - Metabolism - Detoxification

Information no herbalist should live-r without!
"...unique teaching style of Wood and Light cannot be beat." 
"...new uses for herbs that I would not learn anywhere else!" 
"...quite enjoyable...full of valuable knowledge..."

Herbs that help us to live-r better!

The liver can regrow, even if up to 90% of it has been removed. No wonder it's called the LIVE-r! Learn the herbs that can help the liver and the accompanying organ, the gallbladder, perform optimally in order to support digestion, detoxification, metabolism and other functions of the body.
"A few billion years ago, the cells in a multicellular organism held a meeting and decided that "those cells over there" would specialize in metabolism, so that they could pursue their own chosen activities. Those 'chosen few' became the liver, the center for 60% of the metabolism in the body, while the cells took care of their own house--cleaning and feeding the other 40%.

For herbalists, the word "liver" pretty much means "metabolism," including catabolism (breakdown) and anabolism (build-up). When we work with "the liver," we are actually managing the metabolism in almost every cell in the body.

The same four processes rule supreme from one end to the other:
  • Phase I (breakdown of the lipids), intermission (holding on to the byproducts with antioxidants to prevent inflammation)
  • Phase II (breakdown of these leftovers into pretty harmless substances), and the antiporter system (chose what to keep for anabolic building and what to kick out of the liver for elimination).

In addition, the liver utilizes billions of immune cells and lymphatic fluids to keep clean, the hepatic artery (to supply life-giving oxygen), the portal vein (to supply the digestate), and the bile ducts and gallbladder to run off the bile, which is used in the digestion of fats and oils in the intestines."
- Matthew Wood


Support Materials

2 documents totaling 50 pages by Matthew Wood

(The Liver - Metabolism Central; Gallbladder; not downloadable)
Support Materials

24 page document from Phyllis D Light

(not downloadable)

8 hours of teaching


Certificate included
(see more below)

Pay Once = One Year Access

1 year to view and review content, ask questions and discuss

This is for you if you...

want to learn about the liver and gallbladder from an herbal and holistic perspective.
want to dive into the herbs that can support the optimal functioning of the liver and gallbladder, enhancing digestion, detoxification, metabolism, and other crucial functions of the body.
want to gain practical insights into incorporating herbs for daily health and wellness, creating a holistic approach to self-care.

Upon completion, you will...

have a more clinical, professional understanding of this very important part of the body.
be able to better get to the bottom of issues of digestion, metabolism and detoxification.
be familiar with herbs that help with specific functions and ailments related to the liver, gallbladder and metabolism.


Matthew Wood, MS

Matthew Wood has been a practicing herbalist for over forty years. He is an internationally known
teacher and author with more than ten books to his credit, including The Book of Herbal Wisdom, 
The Earthwise Herbals, Holistic Medicine and the Extracellular Matrix, and A Shamanic Herbal 
(July 2024). Matthew has an MSc in herbal medicine from the Scottish School of Herbal Medicine 
(accredited, U. of Wales). He lives in the Midwest. 

Phyllis D. Light, MA 

As 4th generation herbalist, Phyllis started with lessons from her grandmother who taught from her Creek/Cherokee heritage. Phyllis has studied and worked with herbs, foods, and other healing techniques for 30+ years. She is the author of Southern Folk Medicine and co-author of Traditional Western Herbalism Pulse Evaluation.

Certificate Included

  • How to Get a Certificate

    • Complete course materials
    • Pass the test with a grade of 70% or better
    • Save or print your certificate!

    Available with subscription and individual course purchases.

  • Accreditation hours

    This course is a total of 11 accredited hours
    • 6 hours Materia Medica
    • 4 hours Basic Human Sciences
    • 0.5 hours Nutrition and Medical Terminology
    • 0.25 hours History, Philosophy, and Therapeutic Paradigms and Applications (Including Energetics) of Various Systems of Herbal Medicine
    • 0.25 hours Current Evidence-Based Botanical Research

    *Please check with your accrediting agency whether they will accept accredited hours or certificates from the Matthew Wood Institute of Herbalism
Write your awesome label here.

Herbs to the Support the Liver, Gallbladder, & Metabolism

Take a deep dive into this regenerative rockstar and its gallbladder sidekick.

Check out our certificate courses!